Literacy & Evangelism primers:
- are Culture Specific
- are Phonetic based and include natural sounding stories
- are Written by local language speakers
- are Designed for the adult non-reader
- are Designed for the volunteer tutor
- Contain Bible-content (including a scripture reference in each lesson, introducing the name Jesus or some Bible-content in stories starting in Lesson 12 and conclude with 36 easy to read Bible Stories)
- Include simple health and farming lessons (to help with development topics)
Literacy & Evangelism International (USA and global partners) has developed literacy primers in over 270 languages.
A list of the available languages and pdf samples can be found here. Filmed during a Primer Construction workshop in Sierra Leone, this video gives a wonderful
behind-the-scenes look at what goes into the making of Adult Literacy Primers.
Below are some excerpts from the Gurune language Primer from Ghana.